Office of the City Manager
The City of Wilson is governed by a council-manager form of government, the most prevalent form of municipal governance in the United States. Under this form of government, the City Council is responsible for setting the policy and direction of the city, and the Council hires a professional manager to implement the determined direction.
The City Manager is appointed by the City Council and is responsible for day-to-day operations of the city. The City Manager is the chief executive officer of the city and the head of the administrative branch of city government.
According to the City of Wilson charter, the City Manager has several duties:
- Supervises the administration of the affairs of the city
- Sees that the ordinances, resolutions, and regulations of the City Council and the laws of the state are faithfully executed and enforced
- Makes recommendations to the City Council concerning the affairs of the city
- Keeps the City Council advised of the financial condition and the future financial needs of the city
- Attends all meetings of the City Council
- Prepares and submit to the Council all reports important to the operations of the city or requested by City Council, and
- Performs all other duties as required by the City Council.
Grant Goings, City Manager
Grant Goings has served as City Manager of The City of Wilson since January of 2005. Prior experience includes serving as City Manager for the City of Shelby, N.C., Town Manager for the Town of Elkin, N.C., and Town Administrator for the Town of Bethel, N.C.
Mr. Goings is a member of International City Management Association and the North Carolina City/County Managers Association, where he currently serves as President. He is a member and Past President of the Appalachian State University Local Government Alumni Association, and has been a guest lecturer with the MPA program.
Currently, Mr. Goings serves on many state and local boards including Wilson Forward, Wilson County Properties, and the Wilson Economic Development Council. He served on the ElectriCities Board of Directors for six years, including serving as Chairman.
206 Nash Street N
Wilson, NC 27893