Frequently Asked Questions – Environmental Services

Click or tap any section title to collapse or expand it.

Expand all sections | Collapse all sections

I will be moving to Wilson soon, how do I get service?
If there are no roll-out and recycling bins at your home, please contact 252-399-2485 to request containers. An information packet regarding your collection day and instructions on placement will be delivered at the same time.
Is there a charge for collection?
All residential households are charged a monthly Solid Waste fee of $17.50 per month on their utility bill for solid waste services. These services include: household garbage, compost, recycling, and bulky item collection (furniture, appliances, large limbs, etc.).
Where should I place my containers?
Green roll-out containers must be placed just behind the curb with the handles facing the house. They should be at least three feet away from mailboxes, signs, utility poles and other obstructions. Please do not place containers under trees or near parked vehicles, as the truck may not be able to service your container.
When should I put out my containers?
Containers must be placed at the curb before 7:00 a.m. on collection day (and may be set out the night before). City Ordinance requires that all containers be retrieved from the curb within 24 hours of collection, and placed to the side or at the rear of the residence.
My container is broken. What do I do?
From time to time maintenance is required on containers. Please call 252-399-2485 to request a repair. If the container is beyond repair due to normal wear and tear, or was damaged wile being serviced, it will be repaired or replaced.  Containers will not be replaced as a result of vandalism or abuse.
Missed pickup – what do I do?
Occasionally a container may be missed. Please call 252-399-2485 and your container will be serviced as soon as possible, usually by the end of the next business day.
I have seen a trailer with the City of Wilson seal at my neighbor’s house. Are these for rent, what can I use it for, and how do I get one?
16 cubic yard trailers are available for residential use only for daily or weekend rental. See our Trailer Rental section for information on daily or weekend rental./

What do I do with building materials?

City Crews do not pick up construction debris; residents and/or their contractor are responsible for hauling and disposing of this material. Construction and demolition debris is accepted at the Wilson County Landfill. Call 252-291-7335 for further information. Private trailer service for disposal of construction materials is also available through several local companies.

I am physically unable to take my containers to the curb. What do I do?
Backyard service is provided to qualified disabled and elderly customers when there is no one in the home physically able to place the items curbside. Please call 252-399-2485 for further information.
I will be moving soon. What do I do with my containers?
City issued containers are the property of the City of Wilson. Please leave them in the rear yard of your residence when you move.

I live in an apartment complex. Can I recycle, and if so, when?

Yes! Recycling at multi-family complexes (such as apartments and mobile home parks) is provided on the same day recyclables are picked up at single family dwellings.  Please call 252-399-2485 to find out which day of the week your neighborhood is serviced.

My collection day is tomorrow and the weather forecaster has predicted snow / sleet / ice / hurricane. What should I do?
Depending on the severity of the weather, collection may be delayed. Please call 252-399-2485, consult the Wilson Daily Times, Cable Channel 8, the City of Wilson website or call 252-399-2485 for schedule changes.

In the event of a hurricane, please do not leave your containers at the street, as winds may result in the contents being scattered throughout your neighborhood. If possible, tie the containers to a tree or place them under a carport or in a shed.

How do I report nuisances like abandoned vehicles, overgrown lots and dilapidated housing, or pest problems with rodents and snakes?
Concerns such as abandoned vehicles, overgrown lots, dilapidated housing, and problems relating to pests are not a part of solid waste collection and disposal.  These issues are addressed by the City of Wilson Development Services at 252-399-2220.