The City of Wilson employs over 700 people to provide the best possible service to our residents. Each year we receive many applications for job vacancies. Regrettably, we cannot hire all the good candidates who apply. We carefully review applications received to determine those most qualified for interview as reflected by their application materials. Thus, it is important to clearly state your qualifications on the application form.
Be sure to answer all questions completely. Be sure to list any additional information about yourself that you think may be helpful to us in reviewing your application. While it is permissible to include up to two positions on a single application, please understand that in some cases it might be to your advantage to submit separate applications for the positions that interest you as this allows you to emphasize that portion of your background that most directly relates to the vacant position.
Who is an Applicant?
- An applicant is anyone who submits a completed application to the Human Resources Department for a specific position by the closing date established for that position.
- Since we receive so many applications, we cannot consider a letter of inquiry, a telephone conversation or a third party referral to be an application.
How to Apply
- Check the Employment Opportunities List located in the City of Wilson Human Resources Department’s lobby or check the job listings for the position which fits your employment background.
- Apply online, download and print, or pick up an application from the Human Resources Office . Submit your completed application to the Human Resources Department via mail, email, or in person by the closing date announced for the position. Be sure to indicate the position(s) for which you are applying on the front of the application. REMEMBER: You must answer all questions and sign the application, even if you submit a resume. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- After the closing date for the job, the City of Wilson Human Resources Department will evaluate all applications on the basis of knowledge, skills and abilities required for the position. Applications will then be referred to the hiring manager.
- The hiring manager will interview the top candidates and offer the position to the individual who is best suited to fill the vacant position. The Human Resources Department will notify all interviewed applicants who are not chosen once the position has been filled.
The City of Wilson is firmly committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all. The City selects employees on the basis of the applicant’s qualifications for the position. The City also rewards employees through compensation and opportunity for training and advancement, without regard to age, sex, race, color, creed, religion, national origin or disabled status.
The City’s Affirmative Action Plan is a part of this commitment. If at any point in the selection process you believe discrimination has occurred, contact the City’s Human Resources Director at 252-399-2246.
NOTE: The Applicant Information Form you complete with your employment application gives us the information we need to monitor our Affirmative Action Program. This sheet is separated from the application before it is evaluated, and in no way affects the outcome of the selection process.