Traffic and Parking

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Traffic and ParkingThe Parking and Traffic Division’s goal is to insure the safe, convenient, and efficient movement and parking of traffic. The division installs and maintains traffic control devices, street name signs, and pavement markings in accordance with standard traffic safety practices and policies. The division also properly maintains city parking lots and public vehicular areas, and responds to citizen inquiries and concerns as needed while improving community appearance.

Historic Downtown Wilson Parking

If you would like to rent/lease a parking space in Historic Downtown Wilson, please contact the Parking Manager, Sarah Williams-Artis. She can be reached at 252-399-2241.

Historic Downtown Wilson Parking Map


How do I report a missing or damaged sign?
Call the Traffic Markings and Signs Supervisor at 252-399-2471 or the Civil Engineer at 252-399-2467.

Who do I call about speeding cars in my neighborhood?
Call the Wilson Police Department at 252-399-2323 or call the Civil Engineer at 252-399-2467 to inquire about traffic calming measures available.

Why are traffic signs replaced when they look OK?
All signs are routinely replaced as they become faded and lose their reflectivity. They may look OK in the daytime but at night they are not as bright as required and hard to see. Safety of the traveling public is very important at night.

How close to the street can I put up a fence?
Generally fences may not be placed on the right-of-way of the street. These right-of-ways are 5′, 10′ or 12′ and you should call the Engineering Division at 252-399-2468 to get the exact distance behind the curb where the right-of-way is.

How long may I park in Historic Downtown Wilson?
Free parking is available in Historic Downtown Wilson not to exceed 2 hours. Several parking lots are in the area and have meters for longer periods of time.

Can I get “Children Playing” signs installed on my street?
The city does not install these types of signs. The streets are for the movement of traffic and the city does not endorse the use of the streets for play areas.

Who do I call about bushes block the visibility at an intersection?
Sight distance complaints may be made by calling the Civil Engineer at 252-399-2467 of the Traffic Markings and Sign Supervisor at 252-399-2471.

How do I know the speed limits? Several streets have no signs.
In North Carolina and the City of Wilson the speed limit on the open highway is 55 MPH and on residential streets 35 MPH unless a sign is posted showing a different limit. Several residential areas in Wilson are 25 MPH and there are many major streets that are 45 MPH and these limits are posted on signs. When traveling stay alert.

How do I report a burned out or mal-functioning traffic signals?
Traffic signals in the City of Wilson may be maintained by either NCDOT or the City. Please call Public Services Dispatch @ 252-399-2480 or the Civil Engineer at 252-399-2467 to report these problems.

Can I rent a parking space in Historic Downtown Wilson ?
Yes. Contact Parking Manager, Mrs. Sarah Williams-Artis.  She can be reached at 252-399-2241.

Speed Hump Policy

  1. A petition bearing the signatures of at least 75% of the property owners within the affected block is required. Petition forms may be obtained from the City Engineer’s Office in the Public Services Department at the Operations Center on Herring Ave. Once signed, the petitions should be returned to the City Engineer’s Office.
  2. Completed petitions shall be verified by the Engineering Division as to sufficiency.
  3. A Homeowners Association or citizen interest group may make a request to the City to conduct a traffic study on a particular street prior to signing a petition. The association or group must be comprised of citizens who live on the requesting street(s). The request must be in writing to the City Engineer.
  4. The street must be a local street and be classified as residential in nature. No speed humps will be placed on streets identified as thoroughfares on the City of Wilson Thoroughfare Plan.
  5. Speed humps will be considered if the following criteria are met:
  • Street width no greater than 36 feet (face to face)
  • Average daily traffic (ADT) in each direction must exceed 800 vehicles per day
  • 85th percentile speed must exceed the posted speed limit by at least three (3) miles per hour
  1. The principle running routes for Fire/Emergency Services will be considered when determining if speed humps are warranted for a particular street.
  2. The contact person will be notified of the results of the traffic study and whether speed humps are warranted. At this time, a petition may be required.
  3. Speed humps shall be installed at locations determined by the City of Wilson Engineering Division to avoid several street features including but not limited to drainage facilities, utilities, driveways, horizontal and vertical curves, and traffic control devices.
  4. Speed humps may be considered if the 85th percentile speed in either direction exceeds the posted speed by twelve (12) miles per hour.

Traffic Control Devices Rental Form

Pay Parking Ticket

All parking tickets can be paid in one of the following ways:

  • Customer Service Center at 208 Nash Street, from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
  • By mail, Collection Division P.O. Box 10, NC 27893
  • Over the phone by calling 252-399-2200
  • Outside drop box at Customer Service

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer