Land Development

Need to speak to someone in Land Development? Call us at 252-399-2219.


Click or tap any section title to collapse or expand it.

Expand all sections | Collapse all sections

Site Plan Review
Land Development is responsible for reviewing all commercial, industrial and multi-family site development plans for zoning compliance. All commercial, industrial, and multi-family site plans require TRC (Technical Review Committee) approval.

Site Plan Acceptance Policy (PDF)
Minor Site Plan Requirements (PDF)
Standard Plan Sheet Layout Requirements (PDF)
Landscape Plant List (PDF) (Crepe Myrtle Use Change (PDF))
Public Services Standard Notes (PDF)
Site Plan Checklist (PDF)
Site Plan (General) Requirements (PDF)
Site Plan Requirements (PDF)

Divisions of land into two or more parcels usually require a subdivision plat to be approved by the City. A preliminary plat is a drawing of a proposed subdivision. Preliminary plats are approved by City Council after a recommendation by the Planning Board. A final plat is the final map of the subdivision that is recorded in the Register of Deeds office.

Final/Minor Subdivision Plat Checklist (PDF)
Public Services Standard Notes (PDF)
Preliminary Plat Requirements (PDF)
Subdivision Design Checklist (PDF)
Subdivision Variance (PDF)

Sign, Alcohol, Air Quality & Zoning Permit Review
Land Development is responsible for performing Zoning Administration duties. In order for anyone to obtain a sign permit, an alcohol local government opinion/inspection form, an air quality zoning consistency determination, or a residential building permit in the City of Wilson Zoning Jurisdiction, they must have the zoning reviewed by Land Development.

NC ABC Permits
NC DENR Air Quality Permits
Permanent Sign Permit (PDF)
Temporary Sign Permit (PDF)

Floodplain Administration
Any development, including buildings or other structures, filling, grading, or paving, requires a Floodplain Development Permit. Permit applications are reviewed by Development Services and Public Services for compliance with all floodplain regulations.

Floodplain Development Permit Application (PDF)

Zoning and Landscape Inspections
Prior to a business or development requiring Technical Review Committee approval open for business, a final zoning and landscape inspection must be performed to make sure the site was developed according to the approved site plan. This inspection is required before a business or development obtains a Certificate of Occupancy.
Board of Adjustment
Special Use Permits, Variances, and Appeals are heard by the Board of Adjustment. The Board of Adjustment meets on the third Tuesday of the month in the City Council chambers. Applications must be submitted to Development Services four weeks prior to the scheduled meeting. Applicable fees apply.

Special Use Permit Variance (General) Appeal to Administrative Decision (PDF)

Special Use Permits
Certain uses listed in the City of Wilson Zoning Ordinance require Special Use permits. Special Use Permits are issued by the Board of Adjustment.

Special Use Permit (PDF)

Variances to the dimensional standards listed in the City of Wilson Zoning Ordinance are heard by the Board of Adjustment. The requirements for the granting of a Variance are listed in Section 20.11(c) of the Zoning Ordinance.

Variance (General) (PDF)

If you feel that an error in any order, requirement, decision, or interpretation made by the office of the Zoning Administrator has been made in error, you may make an appeal to the Board of Adjustment.

Appeal to Administrative Decision (PDF)

A rezoning occurs when a property owner wants to use their property in a way that is not permitted by the current zoning. The owner must then request to rezone the subject property to a classification that permits the desired use. For your reference, changes to the Zoning Ordinance that include rezonings, are governed by Section 22 of the City’s Zoning Ordinance. That section also addresses, in great detail, the requirements and handling of “protest petitions”, which rezoning requests occasionally generate from opposing residents.

NOTE: Deadline for submitting applications is four weeks prior to the scheduled date of the next Planning Board meeting.

Conditional Use Permits
A conditional use permit allows the City of Wilson to consider any special uses which may be essential or desirable to a particular community, but which are not currently allowed as a matter of right within a zoning district. A Conditional Use Permit application submitted by a project applicant is considered at the Planning Board meeting and, if approved, is generally subject to a anumber of pertinent conditions of approval.
Text Amendments
Ordinance text amendments may be initiated by the Director of Planning & Development Services, the Planning Board, Board of Adjustment, City Council, or any property owner or resident in Wilson. Citizen amendments as well as zoning text amendments are also covered in Section 22 of the City’s Zoning Ordinance.