Natural Gas Odor

Natural gas is a gas primarily composed of methane. It does not have any odor, but a sulfer-based compound is added to give it a "rotten-egg" smell that is easily detected by most people.

Wilson Energy has free scratch-and-sniff pamphlets available; request one by email at awilliamson@wilsonnc.org or by writing us at Wilson Energy Gas Division, 1800 Herring Avenue, Wilson, NC, 27893.

What to Do if You Smell Natural Gas

  • Leave the building immediately.
  • Do not attempt to find the leak yourself.
  • Do not use telephones in or near the building.
  • Do not turn lights on or off.
  • Do not operate or unplug appliances.
  • Do not operate or move vehicles or equipment.

Once you are safely away from the area, call Wilson Energy at (252) 399-2432. Wilson Energy has personnel on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Tell the operator whether you smell the odor indoors or outside the building. If you smell gas indoors, please wait outside for the gas technician to arrive.

Though natural gas contains no poisonous chemicals, it is extremely flammable.

What to do if a gas line is damaged?

Call "911" and Wilson Energy at (252) 399-2432 to have emergency personnel dispatched to the site. Secure the area from unnecessary personnel and allow only trained repair and emergency personnel to enter the site.

Remove any source of ignition from the area including, but not restricted to:

  • Anything that could produce a spark or flash
  • Flashlights
  • Cigarettes
  • Matches
  • Flint guns
  • Welders
  • Motorized vehicles & equipment
  • Any electrical or electronic devices (including doorbells & light switches)

Do NOT try to fix or repair the damage.

Do NOT bend or crimp plastic gas lines to stop the leak.  This is unsafe for the damager as well as the repair technicians.

Let the broken gas line ventilate, releasing the gas into the atmosphere.

Do not try to cover or hide the damaged section of gas line.