Household Garbage Collection
The City of Wilson provides same day pick up of household garbage from all residential customers inside the city limits. This service is provided curbside to single-family dwellings by means of rollout containers, while multi-family locations (apartment complexes, condominiums, mobile home parks, etc.) are serviced by dumpsters. The following sections applies to single-family households. Multi-family units are addressed under the section entitled "Dumpster Service."
One 96 gallon green roll-out container is provided to each residential dwelling at no charge. Containers are serviced once per week at the curb. If you do not know your collection day, please call 399.2485 to inquire. Listed below are procedures that must be followed to insure service is provided:
- Position your container with the handle side to the house. Do not place containers in the street.
- Place behind the curb and 3' from mailboxes, poles, trees and other obstructions.
- Container should not be located within 15 feet of any parked vehicle.
- Container must be placed at the curb before 7:00 a.m. on collection day (and may be set out the night beofre).
- Container must be retrieved from the curb within 24 hours of being serviced.
Backyard service is available to qualified elderly and disabled residents. Please call 399.2485 for an application.
Where does the garbage go? Since the Wilson County landfill is full and no longer approved for disposal of household garbage, waste is hauled to a Transfer Station where it is then transported to an approved landfill.
If you regularly generate more than your container can hold, you have several options available:
- Purchase an additional roll-out container for trash or compost ($50). Please call 399.2485 for more information.
- Reduce your garbage volume by recycling all eligible materials (see list in the "Recycling" section).
- Place excess waste in bags or boxes and set out on Wednesday “Trash Day”.
Proper maintenance of your 96 gallon rollout container is important. Containers are designed to last 10 years with proper use and care. The following maintenance procedures are encouraged:
- Bag garbage whenever possible.
- Wash and rinse container on a regular basis.
- Some materials are not appropriate for disposal in roll-out containers. See "Special Collections" section for further information.
- Keep container lid closed to prevent water accumulation, the growth of bacteria, odor and pests.
- If your container is damaged please call 399.2485 for repair or replacement.
PLEASE NOTE: In the event of a hurricane or high winds, secure container(s) to a fixed object or place inside a secured building.
Dumpster service is provided at apartment complexes and other multi-family dwellings of five or more units. This service is provided by a private hauler under contract with the City of Wilson. To insure regular collection, please do not place any items in front of the dumpster.
- Appliances and large furniture should be placed next to the dumpster (never in front of, or on top of the dumpster). Please call 399.2485 for pick up.
Customers with Physical Impairments
Backyard service is provided to qualified disabled and elderly customers when there is no one in the home physically able to place trash and recycling containers curbside. Please call 399.2485 to schedule an appointment with a crew supervisor to file an application for backyard service. Medical certification may be required. Please continue to place materials at the curb until you receive notification of your approval for this service.