Historic Landmarks

Address: 401 GOLDSBORO ST E   Location ID: 64122
Landmark Name:Wilson Collegiate Institute   Build Date:
Current Owner: BARNES PENDER HERITAGE 
Historic District Name: Old Wilson
Interactive Maps   Landmark Page    HP Home    Back to Result
Landmark Details: Built originally as the Wilson Female Seminary, the Italianate structure served as a Confederate hospital during the Civil War. In 1872, it became known as Wilson Collegiate Institute and was attended by Gov. Charles B. Aycock and Josephus Daniels, Ambassador to Mexico and Secretary of the Navy under Franklin D. Roosevelt. This is the last remaining part of the building, divided into six houses around 1898. The walls of the upper level (storage area) are inscribed with: Patience, Punctuality, Economy, Purity, Truth, Order, Industry & Perseverance. Relocated to its present site, the restored building will house the Wilson County History Museum.
Historic Picture archives: Year

Historic Documents: