Historic Landmarks

Picture
Historic Site Name
Address
Build Date
Description
Boykin-Edmundson House
304 W Nash
ca. 1895
Elements of both the Queen Anne and Colonial Revival styles are evident in this West Nash Street home, once a component in a prominent residential neighborhood, and currently one of a few surviving homes in an area of commercial development. It features German lap siding, large 1/1 windows, paired Tuscan columns and a delicately turned balustrade. It is associated with J.R. and Ida Boykin; and Haywood Edmundson Jr., a pioneer of the Wilson tobacco market; and his son. It is currently used as a law office.
Branch Bank & Trust Company
124 E Nash
National Register of Historic Places. This Second Renaissance style structure represents the oldest continually operating bank facility in North Carolina. It is the third building erected to house the private banking firm chartered in 1872 by Alpheus Branch and Thomas Jefferson Hadley. The 2-story blond brick structure features reddish sandstone-colored concrete, channeled brickwork radiating from the keystones and voussoirs, and beveled glass in the arched windows. The bank operated here until 1985. Donated to the City of Wilson, it is currently used by the Arts Council and is open to the public.
Camillus Darden House
108 N Pender
One of Wilsonís finest Colonial Revival houses, the 2-story brick home was designed by Charles Colin Benton and built by brick mason John Barnes for Camillus L. Darden. Camillus was the son of Charles Darden, the first black undertaker in North Carolina. He operated Wilsonís only franchises for Victor talking records [Victrola] and Harley-Davidson motorcycles. The house features arched floor-to-ceiling windows flanking the front door and a columned entry porch with a roof balustrade. It is currently used as the meeting house of the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority.
Charles L. Coon School
211 Kenan St
The Wilson High School was renamed in memory of respected educator and superintendent Charles L. Coon. Flanked by the gymnasium and auditorium, the central portion of the elegant, Neo-Classical structure is a 3-story, T-plan brick building with a shallow hipped roof. The projecting central pavilion, crowned with a bold, modillioned, wooden cornice, is reached by a ceremonial brick and stone staircase, and the recessed entrance is framed by Tuscan columns supporting a broken pediment. From 1958-1978, the building was used as a middle school, then sold and used for storage. The building was restored and rehabilitated into apartments in 2003.
Cherry Hotel
333 E Nash
ca. 1917
National Register of Historic Places. An elaborate Beaux Arts entrance features lionsí masks which previously supported a pressed metal canopy on a building which epitomized hotel design of the period. The 200 rooms were small and simple, while the lobby, banquet rooms and public areas are well appointed and intact. The classical design features an elaborate metal Beaux Art cornice, with molded, modillioned and dentiled details. Located adjacent to the train station, the U-shaped hotel was convenient to many rail passengers traveling from New York to Florida. The building was restored in 1984 and is currently used as elderly apartments.
First Previous Next Last