Historic Landmarks

Picture
Historic Site Name
Address
Build Date
Description
Cicero Culpepper Carriage Shop
222 S Tarboro
1907, 1913
This shop is Wilsonís best preserved example of 20th century commercial and industrial building. Originally a wagon entrance, the double doors are flanked by display cases with transoms. A 1-room blacksmith shop was located at the rear of the building. The Carriage Shop (2nd story added 1913) operated until 1925 when automobiles and trucks replaced mules and wagons which had serviced the adjacent tobacco warehouses, prize houses, livery stables and machine shops. The building was then used as a bicycle shop until 1972. Restored in 2005, it currently houses a lighting store.
Connor-Lucas House
210 N Tarboro
ca. 1898
This house is an example of the Queen Anne cottage style architecture of the late 1890s. Itís features include the Queen Anne window in the woodshingled gable, a spindle frieze, brackets, turned columns & balusters on the porch, and an unusual truncated roof pierced by dormers & corbelled chimneys. It is associated with the sons of two prominent Wilson families: the H.G. Conners and the Silas R. Lucases. George Conner served as a judge of the Supreme Court, State Representative, and Trustee at UNC; Wyatt Lucas, continued to operate his father's local brick industry, and his son Silas was a prominent lawyer and mayor of Wilson.
Cora Farmer House
304 N Goldsboro
ca. 1887
One of the finest and last examples of Queen Anne architecture standing in Wilson with the ornate detail work still intact. The asymmetric design features a large front porch with turned columns and balustrade, brackets and half-timbering. The home is associated with one of the oldest families in Wilson, that of Larry D. Farmer, a large land owner and former member of the town board; and his son, J. Ed Farmer, former Sheriff. The Farmer family provided the land on which Maplewood Cemetery is located.
David Woodard House
108 Gold St E
ca. 1901
Upper class tastes and values are apparent in this turn-of-the-century residence, in the Woodard Circle neighborhood. Money, fine materials and good craftsmen were readily available to owners such as David Woodard, a principal in one of Wilson's first tobacco warehouses. Notable is the Art Nouveau stained glass transom, the slender turned columns and balusters of the full front porch, and the Palladian windows in the gable. From 1979 until 2008 the house was utilized as offices by Legal Services. It has since been returned to a private home and is being restored and rehabilitated by the owner.
Davis-Whitehead-Harriss House
600 W Nash
National Register of Historic Places. Designed by Oswald Lipscomb, this home was remodeled to its present Italianate form in 1872. It features bold exterior ornament, oversized windows and paired arched doors. Brackets adorn the rooflines and porch, and chamfered columns with a turned balustrade welcome visitors. The exotic trees and shrubs and handsome interior woodwork are inviting to guests staying at the bed & breakfast. The house is associated with James Davis, the first state printer and publisher of one of the first newspapers in the state; Howell Gray Whitehead, a prominent planter and businessman; and William James Harriss.
First Previous Next Last