Historic Landmarks

Address: 211 KENAN ST W   Location ID: 72696
Landmark Name:Charles L. Coon School   Build Date:
Current Owner: CHARLES L COON SCH APTS LLC 
Historic District Name: Dntn/Tobacco Whse
Interactive Maps   Landmark Page    HP Home    Back to Result
Landmark Details: The Wilson High School was renamed in memory of respected educator and superintendent Charles L. Coon. Flanked by the gymnasium and auditorium, the central portion of the elegant, Neo-Classical structure is a 3-story, T-plan brick building with a shallow hipped roof. The projecting central pavilion, crowned with a bold, modillioned, wooden cornice, is reached by a ceremonial brick and stone staircase, and the recessed entrance is framed by Tuscan columns supporting a broken pediment. From 1958-1978, the building was used as a middle school, then sold and used for storage. The building was restored and rehabilitated into apartments in 2003.
Historic Picture archives: Year

Historic Documents: