Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Board
The City of Wilson is dedicated to its goal of developing a safe City-wide bicycle and pedestrian network that provides opportunities for recreation, commuting and other daily trips throughout Wilson.
See the Publications link to the left for more information about the City's adopted Bicycle and Pedestrian Plans, and the Facilities links for more information about the City's existing bicycle and pedestrian facilities.
The Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Board provides education, guidance, and recommendations to the City on bicycle and pedestrian related issues. Please see the links to the left for more information about the Bicycle and Pedestrian Board.
The Board meet on the third Tuesday of every month at 6:00 pm, except December and June. All meetings are open to the public and are held in the second floor conference room of City Hall at 112 Goldsboro Street.
- To oversee the implementation of the Plans and coordinate City pedestrian and bicycle policies and actions;
- To recommend pedestrian and bicycle project priorities for local, state, and federal projects;
- To promote walking and biking as alternate modes of transportation, with emphasis on educating school age children on safe, effective bicycling and walking;
- To serve as a source of information and a sounding board for ideas on advancing safe and convenient walking/running and bicycling in Wilson;
- To serve as a guiding group for new pedestrian and bicycle facilities, coordinating facility maintenance, and advocating for pedestrian and bicycle issues - locally, regionally, statewide or nationally;
- To coordinate annual bicycling and walking/running events and create other education and encouragement materials and programs specific to Wilson;
- To ensure that the City continues to receive community input on new projects and community support for any programs or activities;
- To advise and recommend to City staff alternative funding sources to meet the pedestrian and bicycling needs of the community;
- Review and recommend the acceptance of any grant, gift, bequest, or donation of any personal or real property made available for pedestrian and bicycle purposes;
- To enlist support for pedestrian and bicycle programs, services, and facilities from community groups, organizations, and neighborhood groups;
- To assist in developing working relationships with other local organizations to develop and expand pedestrian and bicycle options offered to the community;
- Carry out other duties as assigned or activities as determined appropriate by the City Council.
For more information, please contact Michelle Brown, City of Wilson staff liaison to the Board.