The Water Treatment Division operates the Wiggins Mill Water Treatment Plant and the Toisnot Water Treatment Plant to provide a safe and adequate supply of water to citizens, businesses, and industries. The City of Wilson owns and operates four reservoirs which serve as our raw water supply source: Buckhorn Lake, Toisnot Lake, Lake Wilson, and Wiggins Mill Lake. They have a combined storage capacity of over 7.5 billion gallons. Raw water can be pumped from the lakes to our water treatment facilities (pictured below). After treatment, the finish water can be pumped directly to the taps in homes and businesses or to our elevated water storage tanks. We treat over 9 million gallons of water a day for use in our City!
Educational tours of the Wiggins Mill facility may be arranged by calling the Water Treatment Manager at 252-399-2376.
In 1963, Wiggins Mill WTP opened on Lovers Lane (now Forest Hills Road) with a treating capacity of 4 million gallons per day (MGD). The cost of the new plant was $800,000. Wiggins Mill WTP has been expanded twice in 1987 and again in 1993 to its current treatment capacity of 12 MGD. Improvements were also made to the waste system in 1980 and to the chemical feed system and building in 2001.
Toisnot WTP was the first water plant constructed in Wilson. It was built in 1917 at the Wilson Power Plant site on Pine Street with a treatment capacity of 3 MGD. The plant was built for $204,500. Toisnot WTP has been expanded twice in 1952 and again in 1974 to reach its current treatment capacity of 10 MGD. Improvements to the chemical feed system, pumps, and a back-up generator were made in 2001. The Wilson Power Plant was torn down in 1991, leaving only the Toisnot WTP structure.