Frequently Asked Questions

How do I report a missing or damaged sign?
Call the Traffic Markings and Signs Supervisor at 399.2471 or the Civil Engineer at 399.2467.

Who do I call about speeding cars in my neighborhood?
Call the Wilson Police Department at 399.2323 or call the Civil Engineer at 399.2467 to inquire about traffic calming measures available.

Why are traffic signs replaced when they look OK?
All signs are routinely replaced as they become faded and lose their reflectivity. They may look OK in the daytime but at night they are not as bright as required and hard to see. Safety of the traveling public is very important at night.

How close to the street can I put up a fence?
Generally fences may not be placed on the right-of-way of the street. These right-of-ways are 5', 10' or 12' and you should call the Engineering Division at 399.2468 to get the exact distance behind the curb where the right-of-way is.

How long may I park in downtown Wilson?
Free parking is available in downtown Wilson not to exceed 2 hours. Several parking lots are in the area and have meters for longer periods of time.

Can I get “Children Playing” signs installed on my street?
The city does not install these types of signs. The streets are for the movement of traffic and the city does not endorse the use of the streets for play areas.

Who do I call about bushes block the visibility at an intersection?
Sight distance complaints may be made by calling the Civil Engineer at 399.2467 of the Traffic Markings and Sign Supervisor at 399.2471.

How do I know the speed limits? Several streets have no signs.
In North Carolina and the City of Wilson the speed limit on the open highway is 55 MPH and on residential streets 35 MPH unless a sign is posted showing a different limit. Several residential areas in Wilson are 25 MPH and there are many major streets that are 45 MPH and these limits are posted on signs. When traveling stay alert.

How do I report a burned out or mal-functioning traffic signals?
Traffic signals in the City of Wilson may be maintained by either NCDOT or the City. Please call Public Services Dispatch @ 399.2480 or the Civil Engineer at 399.2467 to report these problems.

Can I rent a parking space in downtown Wilson ?
Yes. Contact Ms. Emily Tingler at the Wilson Parking Commission. 291.2405