Historic Landmarks

Historic Site Name
Build Date
A.J. Simms House
211 Hill
ca. 1874
One of very few remaining homes built in the early 1870s, this elaborate, distinctive Victorian cottage was originally owned by A.J. (Jack) Simms, the first Clerk of the Superior Court of Wilson County. He survived financial loss and rebounded to rebuild his private life and that of his community. The cross-gable house features circular vents in woodshingled gables, a turned balustrade and oversized [some floor-to-ceiling] windows with hinged shutters.
A.P. Simpson House
310 W Green
ca. 1880
Exceptional detail is found on this late Victorian cottage, built for A.P. Simpson, a dry goods merchant. The slat balustrade, lacy scrolled brackets and a delicate sawtooth frieze are some of Wilson’s finest surviving sawnwork details, and add to the warmth and the character of the home. In 1882 it was purchased by J.F. Farmer, a community leader who served as Pastor of the Primitive Baptist Church, Justice of the Peace, and Chairman of the Wilson County Board of Commissioners, and since the 1920s has been owned by the Howard/ Dickenson family.
Allie W. Fleming House
112 N Rountree
ca. 1919
An outstanding example of the Bungalow style, this picturesque cottage with its rough stone foundation, columns and chimney is the only one of its type in Wilson. The house features a rolled-edge clipped gable roof punctuated by eyebrow dormers. A porte cochère accesses the side of the house, and stuccoed gables feature half-timbering. The Flemings were early pioneers in bright leaf tobacco (which eventually led to Wilson being the World’s Largest Bright Leaf Tobacco Market in the 1920s), and instrumental in the construction of a WPA baseball stadium named in his honor, Fleming Stadium.
Atlantic Coastline Railroad Passenger and Baggage Depot
401 E Nash
The Mission style architecture of the train station designed by A.M. Griffin exhibits a Flemish influence. The building represents the growth of the transportation industry in Wilson, which paralleled the tobacco boom, and greatly affected the rate of the town's growth. The building is cruciform in plan, with a small square porter's room in the same style to the east. Both buildings have red Spanish terra cotta tile roofs. Restored in 1997, the station operates daily with trains to New York and Florida. Be sure to visit “Miss Rail Rose,” waiting for the train.
Benjamin F. Lane House
601 W Nash
ca. 1898
This outstanding Colonial Revival house was designed by nationally-known architect George Barber. It was built for Benjamin F. Lane, planter and co-founder of the Liberty Warehouse, and later home to Jefferson Davis Bardin, Clerk of Superior Court and Juvenile Courts Judge. The 2-story frame house features curvilinear porch elements with Ionic columns and pilasters, turned balusters, and dentil molding. Classical garlands and columns enframe the central door, sidelights and transom.
Next Last